Monday, April 21, 2008

Isaac's first chapter book



There are a few milestones we get to enjoy in life with our children -- their first laugh, first step, first day at school. Well, yesterday Isaac passed an important milestone. He finished his very first (real) chapter book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. He's been reading shorter chapter books for a while - he especially likes The Magic Treehouse series - but this is the first long chapter book he's read by himself. Matthew promised him a Transformer toy if he finished the book, which seemed to get him started, but once he got into it I like to believe he was driven forward by his sheer love of reading.
I also catch him reading the newspaper, including the cartoons, and attempting to do the word puzzles inside. Matthew and I are so glad he loves to read, especially since it's something we both love as well.
If it sounds like I'm boasting, maybe I am a little! We're proud of him!

9 comments:

Monica Rich said...

That's so, so great. Congratulations to Isaac! What an accomplishment. The first book I remember reading (although I'm certain it wasn't my first) was Watership Down. I cried when I finished because I was so sad it was over.

Wendy said...

Yahoo for Isaac! I'm so impressed - he's only in grade two! For your next blog entry - Isaac's review of the Sorcerer's Stone.

Amy and Chad Larson Family said...

Way to go Isaac! Maybe I should have read to him that fateful night when I failed so dreadfully as his first babysitter. I don't think he ever stopped crying--poor little guy! Look at him now.

Sally said...

Wow! It's no surprise! The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

Rencher Fam said...

Yeah Isaac! I can't wait until my boys can read books like that!

KJ said...

that's a really great thing...

TimothyMiller said...

Good job Isaac...reading is the best! I just finished the spiderwick chronicles which were a blast. Tom (Sally's husband) reads tons of childrens books and passes the more interesting ones on to me. Also...get him the Bartimus Trilogy when he is done with Harry Potter books.

Bates Blogger said...

Thanks Tim for the suggestions! We'll definitely try those next.

Bacons-Bits said...

Way to go Isaac! You're doing better than me! I've even got a goal to read 5 books this year, which for a lot of people isn't a lot, but for me, it's a ton! Love you guys!
--Jon